The History of Traditional Blueprint and the Joch for drying the printed textiles Family in Straznice
Arimo Company follows up with a hundred-year-old history of family dyers, started by Mr. Cyril Joch. His blueprint shop opened approximately 225 years after the blueprint production technology had become widely known in Europe.
A fabric coloring and printing belongs among the most popular and historically oldest methods of textile decorating. Asia is being considered to be a cradle of such decorated fabrics; from there the art of various decorating methods have reached the European continent. Many written records including physical evidences of textile dying can be found throughout the oldest history of European nations.
Mr. Jakub Grouw, a Dutch merchant, had established the first big enterprise producing blueprints in Amsterdam, Holland, in 1678. Later the technology spread to Germany and from there to the territories of today’s Bohemia, Moravia and Slovakia. The privileged manufacture plant in Šaštín, Slovakia, had started producing blueprints in 1736 followed by the count Josef Maxmilian Kinsky’s plant in the village of Sloup u České Lípy in 1763.
The 19th century had witnessed the true boom of the blueprint trade. The new decorating method had not been used only for textile dying but for decorating the interiors and home furnishings as well. The demand was huge and almost each city could boast about having a blueprint shop on its territory. And finally, the blueprint manufacturers supported the formation of wood-carver shops producing blueprint templates.
In 1905, Cyril Joch, a dyer, had decided to move to the city of Strážnice. He was born on May 30th 1880 as a son of Pavel Joch, a half-quarterer from the village of Žeraviny and Kateřina, born Hálková, from the family of Jan Hálek, a quarterer from the village of Hroznová Lhota. Cyril Joch and Anna Gerstbergerová were married on June 13th 1906.
In 1914 Josef Loch had joined the army and the manufacturing business went down the hill. Neither textile nor necessary dyes were available any longer. During the war Anna Jochová tried to manage the business but all she was able to do was to dye fabrics brought in by the customers. After Cyril Joch had returned from the war he started to work again but unfortunately, he died of lung tuberculosis in April 20th 1924.
After a death of her husband the entire business was managed again by Anna Jochová, helped by her son František. He had studied the trade of dying with Josef Gertsberger, a dyer from the city of Veselí nad Moravou, and on July 3rd 1927 he completed his studies by passing the journeyman exams. In 1928 Frantisek Joch had left for Klatovy to do some trial work and returned home in 1929. Since then he carried on with the business of dying together with his mother.
František Joch and Milada Lukeštíková were married in 1934. The printing shop and the drying-plant were built in the court of the house no. 697 in 1940-1941. Both rooms, having dimensions of 6 x 8m, were located on the first floor. The newly reconstructed room for washing and mangling of blueprint fabrics was located on the building’s ground floor.
The man-powered mangling machine was modified to be motor-driven. In 1949 the steam boiler was installed on the ground floor; it was used to heat the printing shop, drying plant and the apartment. The steam was also used to heat up the cooking and washing water.
The blueprint production was booming and two new workers were hired. František Joch had died on July 30th 1974 and was buried in the Strážnice cemetery. After his death his son, František junior, started to work as a blueprint shop manager. After settlement of family property, František Joch junior sold his newly acquired real estate property to the Czech government’s Folk Art Production Center, which was using the property for a blueprint business anyway. The manufacture operating in the family house was not in a satisfactory shape and the management of the Regional Center in Uherské Hradiště decided to build a new building.
Today, a new two-storied building is 36.5 meters long and 16.5 meters wide. On the ground floor there is a printing shop, store behind the storehouse, eatery, boiler-room and blueprint storage facilities. The first floor should have included the ceramic shops but this project was never materialized; these premises served, at least, for drying printed textiles or as the storage facilities serving the needs of the Regional Center.
In the meantime the blueprint production increased and new employees were hired. Mrs. Iva Jochová, a printer, Mrs. Františka Vajčnerová, a cleaning lady and Mr. Jan Můrka, a boiler operator, became new company employees. In 1986 the company hired two apprentices, Igor Můčka and Jan Mička, whose hand-on training took place in the city of Strážnice. These young men also attended additional training at Prague’s secondary training center, where they completed their studies by passing the final exams. In 1991 a small blueprint-sewing workshop that replaced the Regional Center’s home working places was established. Three sewers worked at the blueprint-sewing workshop: Mrs. Květoslava Jochová, Mrs. Ludmila Vítková and Mrs. Radka Kostelanská who, at that time, manufactured table and tea clothes, pillows and other blueprint products. When the Folk Art Production Center was about to be privatized in 1993, all blueprint employees were fired. Only František Joch, a company manager, stayed with the company fulfilling the most urgent tasks. Some of the manufacturers did not agree with the actual privatization and submitted the competitive privatization projects that included their own workshops and plants. And František Joch, together with his brother Sáva, was among those people.
On March 10th 1993 the government of the Czech Republic had approved the privatization protocol 21450 BLUEPRINT STRÁŽNICE and asked the State Property Fund to work out the Contract of Purchase. The building was purchased back and the blueprint business finally returned to the Joch’s family ...
On January 1st 1994 a new company ARIMO spol. s.r.o. with foreign participation, was established. The new company’s production program could be called “Manufacture of Ready-Made Clothing and Blueprint Products”, following up with old blueprint tradition dating back to 1906. The blueprint production takes place on the ground floor while on the second floor one can find the ready-made clothing production facilities.